Thursday, June 23, 2011

Organic Hair Products Take 1

Hey. So a few weeks ago, I was talking with Nadya about homemade (and/or organic) hairproducts. And I decided I'd give it a try. Well. I finally made them today. It took me about an hour, but I made hairspray, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. I'm going to post the recipes I created on here right now, but I'm letting them sit for 24 hours before I use them. I have put them in the fridge overnight as I head off to my overnight job. I am super excited to have them made. So far, the lotion seems to have worked. I smeared a bit on my hands before I came upstairs to write this and it feels pretty good :D Now, I don't recommend you try these quite yet as they probably still need to be tweaked. But I'm just too excited (and slightly afraid that I'll lose the paper I wrote these on), that I must share!! I started cooking the hairspray first, and while it was boiling, I had time to make the shampoo and the conditioner.

Hairspray
Ingredients
2 Medium sized lemons

2 Cups of water

Directions
Cut each lemon into quarters.
Place into a saucep
an, and pour water over top.
Cook on high heat until the water is boiled.
After it has boiled, pull off of the heat.

Remove the lemons from the water, using tongs so you can squeeze out all the extra juice back into the pot.

Strain the water over a colander and place into a spray bottle.

Refrigerate overnight.


Shampoo
Ingredients
1 Kiwi
1/2 Cup Baking Soda
Directions
Peel all the skin off of the kiwi.
Blend the kiwi until it makes a pasty goop.

Strain the goop so that you get rid of any extra chunks.

There should be about a half a cup of kiwi juice.

Mix the baking soda in with the kiwi. It will form a lime-green paste (and smell like PlayDoh....).
Put in a sealable container and refrigerate overnight.


Conditioner
Ingredients

1/2 Cup Vinegar
3 drops Vanilla
Directions
Mix the vinegar and vanilla together.
Put in a sealable container and refrigerate overnight.

Body Lotion
Ingredients

1 Yogurt Cup

1/2 Cup Milk

1/4 Cup Sugar

3/4 Butter
3/4 Cup Flour
1-2 Tbsp Vanilla**

Directions
Blend yogurt, milk, sugar and butter together.
Add vanilla and flour.

Blend everything together.
Put mixtur
e in a sealable container and put in the fridge overnight.
**Note: the vanilla is just for scent, if you want to add another extract it you want a different scent. Different extracts include coconut, almond oil, etc.


So, those are all my recipes (for now). And I will be trying all of those things out tomorrow and let you know how everything works out. I am very excited to try these and tomorrow's blog will entail everything else that comes with it. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment