Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dating Sites

There are some things about the single life that are slightly disturbing, and things about the single life that are not so much.
Being single can be fun for many reasons. The most prominent one is independence. It's nice to be able to go someplace without having to tell someone else where you're going and check in if you're going to be late. I enjoy being able to check out hot guys and not feel bad about it. It's fun to flirt and giggle without the guilt of thinking "I have someone at home, this poor guy.. I'm just leading him on while he could be hitting on some single chick". It's fun being the single chick. Free drinks and flirting and dancing with the girls. It truly is the life. Minus the constant alone-ness....
On the other hand, there's the dating game. Which is the worst part of being single. There are so many weirdos, creepers and just straight up (I hesitate to say this, but it's true) uggos out there!! And they all seem to be like mosquitoes. If you ever frequent the bars, you know who I'm talking about. You're out dancing with your girlies, and these are the guys who creep up behind you and all of a sudden their hands are on your hip and they grind on your leg like a dog in heat. This move is strictly reserved for the aforementioned "weirdos". The hot guys stay at the bar all night and creep until the last hour, then they move in. Or, you walk by the pool table, or go outside for some air, also where they frequent, and they'll strike up a conversation with you. Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, creepers. Although hot guys seem to be exclusively at bars and the occasional Starbucks, creepers are everywhere. I decided I didn't really like the club scene anymore due to (especially in the summer) mini skirts and mini dresses causing the "Mosquito Effect" to run rampant. There is no way any type of semi-attractive girl can step foot in a club without at least one guy on her ... butt... Wanting to dance and/or take her home. What? Just because I'm single doesn't mean I'm gonna put out to anyone! I hate that assumption. So, being disgusted with the gross attempts of creepy stinky military guys trying to pick me up, I went to the seemingly safer option of online "dating". For me, it's more like "online browsing and rejecting" as I've only gone on about two dates as a result of profiles and they were nothing like I imagined. I find that everytime I check out the "Who Viewed You" section of any of these sites, it's creepy people. Either skinny guys with unibrows or chubby guys trying to win the "funny guy" points by not telling you anything about themselves except that they are so hilarious! It's tiring. Then you get messages from guys like this saying "you are so beautiful. You have sexy eyes.." Then I check their profile and it's like a 34 year old Asian who looks 50.. BARF!!! I am just sick of creepers to the point where I am also done with online dating. How the heck is a girl to find anybody when the amount of creepers in the dating world are that of rats and spiders in a 19th century Venezuelan prison (and about as hygienic as them too). It is very rare to find a decent guy in this day and age. Mind you, at school and work are good places to look too, but even then, hot guys in the office are usually the scum of the earth too.
It's very difficult to be single. But I guess that's the price we pay for our independence. It's a little annoying, but it's good to not be tied down to anyone or anything. I think I'm done with the dating game for a while. Just until I get myself settled in my life, I think that will make it easier to settle into someone else's if I'm already settled in my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment