At the beginning of the movie, Lars’ sister-in-law seems to be the only person who really cares about his well being; she invites him over for breakfast in the opening scene. Later on, I like how she tackled him to the ground (her intensity reminded me of something I would do if my brother-in-law ignored my offerings of kindness). I don’t think his brother or the rest of the community realized the dramatic effect that their absence in his life had until he ordered a silicone companion. They realized, I think, in that moment that he needed some sort of companionship and he wasn’t getting it from them.
I like that the community accepted Bianca as a member, and pretended for Lars’ sake, that she was real. The moment where Lars is chopping wood after Bianca goes off to a function with the elderly lady from the church and Karin is yelling at him that they are welcoming Bianca in because they all love him so much. The very fact that Bianca is so involved in welcomed into the community is because of the community’s love for Lars. Karin seems frustrated that Lars doesn’t quite understand that other people love him, not just Bianca.
I found it interesting that the community worked together to kind of “wean” Lars off of Bianca; they all began volunteering her for different events, so that he can learn to live without her there every moment, but also he can become a part of the community. Like Jen said in her Moodle post about the work party – he would never have gone into the party if it weren’t for Bianca at his side. I feel as though Bianca was a sort of security blanket for him.
I also found it interesting how the psychologist, Dagmar, used Bianca’s “illness” as a means for her to spend time with Lars without making him feel as though he was getting psychological assistance.
I feel as though it could be realistic in any type of community setting, especially when Bianca was dying. I’d like to bring up what Jen said in class about the scene where the ladies from the church come over with casseroles and their knitting and they say “let’s just sit”; and another one says: “That’s what you do when tragedy strikes, you just sit”. I loved this expression of community – that although there may be nothing to be said, it is good to just know that people are around you and that they are there to provide comfort should you need it.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Lars and the Real Girl
Hey,
So, I've been super busy with work and school, and reading and work, and studying and work; so, here's a post that was partly extra-curricular (it was a movie) and partly schoolwork (we got to write a reflection on it). If you have never seen "Lars and the Real Girl" and you are at all interested in psychology or delusions (or Ryan Gosling), I highly suggest you watch it. I loved it!
So, the discussion question as posed by my Communities of Transformation professor was: For those who came out to the film: what stood out for you as some of the key elements that made Lars' community a healing community? To what extent could that be realistic in a church, town or neighbourhood setting?
And this was my response:
If any of you have anything you add or any comments on what I have said, I welcome all encouragements and criticisms equally :D
Also, watch this movie!
Happy watching!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment